Sunday, November 29, 2009

When we were Kings- Part 2

The day of our first year BSc results was memorable for many reasons. First of all I flunked in Chemistry (expected) and Botany (non-expected). Secondly I flunked for first time in my life. Third reason was that I laughed a lot on that day despite of flunking. I and Shasthri watched together our disgraceful registration number not featuring on result sheet as we dint make it. We decided that we will mourn our failure by watching a movie. Seena was absconding that day. We went to a Tamil movie, Penin manadhai thottu (Touch a women’s heart) acted by Sharath Kumar, Prabhu Deva (Dance wonder of India) and the heroine I don’t know her name. It was basically a love story with all masalas. But the movie had an excellent comedy track by Vivek (I admire this guy). The comedy track was so good that both of us were laughing our heart out. After the movie when we came out of theater we discussed that usually people will not laugh when they fail in their exams but we are unique as we laughed in such a misery.

That was my golden days. Never bothered or cared a tiny rat’s ass about what’s happening.

The days where you would have not bothered if you missed your lunch bag because you know a part of your friend's lunch is reserved for you.

The days when you would not care to know what’s happening in world. Whether the economy is booming or it’s in gutters.

The days when you dint care much about looking into news papers.

The days when a cigarette is shared by 10 people and the moment it would reach you it would be the last puff as people would deliberately inhale more than required.


The days when a party involving alcohol is organized you would take more than your limit as you would not know when the next party will be.

The days when you switched your shirt with your friend’s because your shirt is good than his and he has to meet his girl friend.

The days when you would enjoy reading stories, jokes and comments written by the most brilliant and creative people in rest rooms.

The days when you would stand by your friend when he is been targeted by his girl friend’s other admirers or brothers or father and you would not bother if you got hit by someone.

The days when playing cricket was more than passion and we skipped everything but did not missed a single match. If we saw a match going out of our hand we used to create a big issue out of nothing and made sure that match is abandoned. This many times leaded to fights.


The days when we considered first day first show of favorite movies were more important than attending practical classes.

The day when having a girl friend was a matter of pride. When you saw someone else is trying to impress your would-be girl friend your every friendly pat, hug and pinch will be more severe than usual on the competitor.

The most advantageous part of studying under Bangalore University was the option of having carry over, where if you fail in one or all subjects in first or second year you can still attend classes and try to clear these back logs. So we all entered our second year of BSc. Seena with no burden of back log, me with burden of 2 subjects and Shasthri with more burden than me.

Second year I would call it as most adventurous year. We did things which we not even imagined.

First incidence to share is that we had a professor who was known to be too strict and he dint bother to slap any student if he does any mistake. He had unique facial features. His face was black and his eyes circle was pitch black and only thing visible in that region was the white matter of his eyes. He was bald and his hairs (countable) arise from the lower extremity of sides and back of skull. Hairs were at least 10 cms long.

He used to handle the practical classes which were usually scheduled in afternoon. One day, he came to lab and arranged slides and asked us to look at them. May be he had a bad hair day. All of his hairs were in erected position.While checking slides Sharath told me ‘Maga (slang for friend), don’t you think Professor looks like a person who gets electrocuted in television Ads and his face will be blackened and hairs will be erected position’. His comparison was so accurate that I saw the Professor’s face and could not control my laugh. Professor noted me laughing and came to me and gave a hard punch on my back. As I saw him more closely and his features in anger were like charred after electrocuted, I started laughing more. He dismissed me from class. Shortly after my dismissal Sharath followed as he also could not control his laugh. After the class we were declared as heroes as we were dare to laugh on Professor's face.

Then came the supplementary exams in September, 2000, a chance to clear the back logs. This time I decided that I will clear both Chemistry and Botany which were pending from first year. I studied well, but for only 48 hours before exams. This time for chemistry I spent 3 hours in examination hall. Felt good about that. Also the advantage of writing supplementary exams is that the question papers will be easier than main exams as the question paper setters would know that whoever is going to attend will never pass the exams if they are tough. Surprisingly I cleared both the subjects but Shashthri did not. I would like to appreciate this person’s patience and logic for not clearing all the subjects. He would tell that his grand father has advised him that ‘Nidhanave Pradhana’ it’s similar to slow and steady wins the race and told us that he will clear subjects slowly.

I would like to mention about one of our lady Professor. She was short, stocky and had Indira Gandhi hairstyle and she was sworn enemy of men and boys. No body knew the reason, may be some white and black flash back. She used to observe closely the movements of boys and blast them even for silly reason.

I never saw her smiling. I used to think she directly born with an accusing face. Only time I saw her smiling was when Seena shaved his moustache. That day she told to him that he looks like Anant Nag (good actor in Kannada movies) in Bayalu Dhaari movie. Also I could see a hint of blush in her. That whole day we took life of Seena by saying that he has impressed the impossible. Once we all boys mass bunked one of her class. This infuriated her. The same day we attended Chemistry Lab class. The lab was too big and it had 2 exits. Lady Professor entered from front exit and started blasting who were there. We saw the attack and dodged by going out from rear exit. She noticed this but we did not. We concealed ourselves behind a wall. We saw her going back to department. Then we entered lab. I was standing near window and luckily saw that she was coming back with vengeance. I passed the information to Shasthri and Seena but Shasthri was busy talking with some girl. Me and Seena sneaked out. We saw that smart lady locking the front exit before entering from rear exit. Shasthri who was bit late to understand the situation was caught near the door and got maximum blasting.

In another incidence in Botany Lab Karthik did some mischievous thing that angered the Lady professor she grabbed a wooden scale on her table and rushed to hit him as if that would cause pain to him. He the athlete and agile jumped across the table and ran in circles around the table and she chasing him. It was like playing ‘Fire in the mountain, run, run, run…’ We all laughed like crazy people. At last she gave up and slumped in her chair and told ‘Karthik, I know u will be nothing in your life but you can be a good runner’. She was not able to get up from her chair till the class got over but she dint released the scale from her hand thinking that if Karthik comes in striking range she will hit him. He made sure that entire class he was out of striking range.

We all boys organized a trip. Girls were not interested in joining us because they thought we are most spoiled creatures of this world and being with us will contaminate them. We thought we are better off them because with girls around men will act like monkey many times. I decided the places we will visit. We planned to go to Mysore, Madikeri (Coorg), Mangalore, Hassan and back to Bangalore. People who agreed were Me, Shasthri, Seena, Sharath, Karthik, Ravindra, Narendra, Puttaswamy, Ramakrishna, Jaga, Long Mahesh and Girish (our junior). Date was fixed; it was for 3 days and in month of December 2000. Long Mahesh took responsibility of booking vehicle for the trip.

On the day of trip we all reached college at 6 am. But the vehicle came at 1 pm due to some issues. We all cursed Long Mahesh for that. We all reached Halebeedu by 4 pm. We were admiring the sculptures but Girish and someone else tried to write something on sculpture and were caught. Police were called and we all apologized. They told to write a apology letter. We wrote letter in some other college’s name and our name on letter was changed. Someone was Upendra, someone was Rajkumar, some one was Kumarswamy the best was someone was Deve Gowda. We reached Kadur at 7 pm we hit the bar straight. We 3 sat together with Narendra, Rama and Puttaswamy at one table and we ordered Beer. Shasthri acted as perfect Brahmin and settled with Pepsi (now he gulps down a 90 in a second). I and Seena had 5 beers together. During billing somehow we convinced Rama that we had only 4, which he still doubts today. After filling our belly we moved towards Kalasa for spending night. On the way few of the loose stomachs could not with hold the alcohol. It was started by Puttaswamy. He asked driver to stop and went out to puke. Ravindra who saw the puking process of Puttaswamy could not hold and involuntarily puked. This started the chain reaction and almost all puked except me and Sharath.

We reached Kalasa at around 11 pm. We were supposed to spend night in vehicle as we dint had enough money to stay in hotel. As it was winter it was too cold. Me and Sharath decided not to sleep and were roaming all around the town. We parked the vehicle near the police station. Initially we were silent as we were near police station and we were drunk also the door light outside the police station was on. As the night passed everyone’s bladder was too active due to alcohol but there was no any place where it could be released. We searched, but no place near by. We saw that police station’s backyard was empty and no lights but we were still skeptical as any police might see us catch us in action and can take action against us. But no one can control that. I made my mind and did a courageous thing. I moved into backyard cautiously and made sure no one is moving inside the police station and at last released. Everyone followed my example all through the night. We made sure that we left that place by 4 am and reached Horanaadu so that no one from police station is awake. We thought they will be having a surprise in morning. I wondered if they can so poorly defend their backyard how well they can defend people.

That day we reached Mangalore. I always liked seas and oceans. I get spell bind when I see these magnanimous thing. It contains trillion to the power of trillion barrels of water, million species ranging from single celled protozoan to biggest creature blue whale in its belly but on surface it appears so calm and humble. I love to see the beach and admire its humongousness. Me, Shasthri and Seena took a picture against the back drop of setting sun symbolizing that we will be friends till our life’s sun sets (This photo is with Shasthri will post it soon). And our trip came to an end with loads of memories.

At last the most unforgettable memory which was also a turning point in my life. Our Botany professor Siddesh Gowda had expressed concern that CBZ students has not participated in any cultural events performed during college's yearly fest. We just discussed internally that we will do something this year. Ravindra the upcoming movie star said that we will do dance. That day after reaching home I thought we can do a play. I took out paper and pen and started writing. I dint had any inspiration or idea just kept writing by midnight I was ready with a script for a skit. Next day I showed it to everyone. Everyone liked it. I was not sure whether it was good but everyone told it was good. I titled it as ‘Director from Hollywood’; basically it’s a story of director who wants to direct a movie in Kannada. He hires personal Assistant (PA) who will misuse the money given by the director to choose actors. When director comes down to finalize on cast PA will get people who are not so good and unique characters that who will make the director go crazy.

The characters of our skit we were as follows:

1. Director from Hollywood – Narendra
2. PA – Me (initially it was Rama who rejected the offer)
3. Uppi – (Seena) A mad person who is fan of Upendra movies and acts like him.
4. Hero – Long Mahesh (Salman Khan) He wears very less dress to show his body.
5. Heroine – Shasthri (Mandakini, a transvestite) my favorite dialogue of him was ‘I studied in Bishop Cotton’s Boys School and in Mount Carmel women’s college’. Initially he did not agreed to do this character as he thought that it would dampen his image in front of ladies. But I convinced him. I’m really thankful to him that he agreed. Also he was ready to get a clean shave for the performance. Also I’m thankful to Neela and Suma who done make-up to him before the performance.

6. Villain – Ravindra (Shake Abdullah) His specialty was that he will shake involuntarily and whoever touches him will also shake.
7. Dialogue writer – (Rama) He will have poor eye sight

I was surprised when everyone liked the story and script. Also they encouraged me to direct the skit. So I did. We had a great time rehearsing it. We did it for almost 2 months. Also we came to know whoever participates in cultural program will get 75% attendance, this made us to concentrate more on that. The college fest was organized in month of Feb 2001.

We had one more hurdle to cross before performing on stage. We were supposed to perform in front of so called ‘panel of experts’ who would choose the program that will be performed on the D-day. We were nervous thinking that if our program is not chosen what will happen to our attendance. Some how, we did and were able to get a slot in evening. On the D-day we were all prepared. But there was an issue. So many programs were chosen that they started deleting programs and ending the boring programs in the middle of performance. I was so worried that all our efforts would go in vain. I was seeing people practiced ready with costumes were being told that their act or dance cannot be staged due to time constraints. I’m in great debt to Long Mahesh who used his influence in seniors and got a slot for us.


Finally we were on stage. For the first time in my life I was on stage. Gastric juice in my stomach poured down when I saw nearly 1000 people seated and waiting for me to speak. We did, we performed. Everyone was so excited on stage that they did things for real. I’m sorry for Narendra who got real slaps and punches. There was one funny incidence which I would like to share. In a scene, Hero will punch Director and chases Villain, Villain escapes by moving in between Hero’s legs and I will be holding wrathful director to console him. On stage Hero punched Narendra so hard that he fell down and I dint know when villain started running I thought I need to hold someone so I got hold of Hero. Hero started telling me ‘Maga, leave my hand’. I asked ‘Why?’, he replied ‘Ravindra is squeezing in between my legs I can’t move’. Then I realized I was supposed to hold director and I searched for him poor fellow was moaning in pain holding his stomach on the floor of stage. But the saddest part was our play was stopped at 10 mins, actual time was 15 mins. We all felt bad but had a satisfaction that we performed on stage. Back stage we were so excited we all started showing our excitement on Shasthri and his dress.

We were informed that the programs performed will be aired in some local channel. All were looking forward to see themselves on television. I was worried thinking that they will edit our program we were not allowed to perform completely on stage. Also that local channel was not aired where I resided. We all decided that we will watch it in Long Mahesh’s home. But on the day I got some urgent personal work and could not go. I regret till date that I dint watched it. Everyone else watched it. Good news was that our program was not edited. All other flashy programs before ours were deleted. We thought even the channel people liked our program. After that relay many people in college started recognizing us. Especially Seena for his Uppi performance, Shasthri for his role and everyone else. Professor Siddesh Gowda was happy. Even other lecturers appreciated us. We all felt good.

The support provided by my friends made me to realize that I have something in me as a writer and director. Even they did encouraged me to take up that as career and I was ready for it. But life had some other plans for me. But I'm thankful to them if they would have not supported me that day I would not have written this.

Exams time again. This time relatively I did well and was able to get second class. Which surprised all thinking that when did I get time to study in between all this chaos. Even Seena cleared all subject. Shasthri was still slow and steady and kept few subjects pending. With this we ended our second year and were ready to face the final year, which was also filled with non-stop fun and excitement.

In the final year I saw someone special.

To be continued…….

1 comment:

  1. hahahaaa its too funny yu seemed to have had lots of fun!!!!
    i seriously cant wait for part three!!!
    do you still have contact with yur funny teachers?? :P
    the police station incident was hilarious i was laughing soo much i cant see yu doing tht!!!

    ReplyDelete