Tuesday, November 10, 2009

When we were Kings - Part 1

Recently it so happened that I was passing from my college K.L.E’s, S. Nijalingappa College, Rajajinagar. As I was passing through I watched few guys occupying the key places (hadda) outside the college, which were property of our's earlier (I was jealous). I felt those guys were looking awful, they were not as cool as we were, the tactics they used to woo (conquer) the girls were outdated, the topic they were speaking is out of fashion (rather dumb) and their dressing sense was foolish, there was guy whose pants were clinging for it’s life and pride from middle way of his bottom (I felt sorry for the pants).

At that instant I realized that I was speaking like my father or uncles when I was in college. Yes, I was speaking like them. But I’m god damn sure that even the older generation would be masters of this game when they were in college. I think for older generation people newer generation will always be irritating. As the time passes away once super cool generation will start hating the upcoming generation and they would act as they were the most decent fellows ever laid foot on the earth. May be the fact is that gradually we become jealous. We dedicate 70% of our time in work and other 23% to family and rest 1% for ourselves. When we see those college boys and girls who dedicate at least 80% of theri time for themselves, ‘YES’ we would be jealous. Moreover they would not be committed to anyone as much as married people. Free stallions roaming around. We are not gods or saints to smile and tell to ourselves that it’s bad to be jealous or envious or resentful about them. Also one good thing about the taunting of older generation is that it will keep the activities of new generation under check.

I think I was able to explain the behavior of our uncles when I was in college at least partially if not completely. But all this thinking had inevitably reminded me of my college days. The days when I spent more time near the college and less time inside the college. The 3 years of my life in K.L.E’s, S. Nijalingappa College, Rajajinagar. Those were my days, my unforgettable days. The days when we were uncrowned Kings.

Yes, we were King of ourselves and we had our own imaginary dynasty and ruled the college. Why not? When we have imaginary Longitudes and Latitudes line drawn across our earth why we can’t have our own imaginary dynasties? Although we were supported and nourished financially by our parents once we stepped in college campus we would get an unseen crown upon our head.

In this blog I would concentrate more on the ebullient aspects of our college days rather than academics. I know everyone who would read this would have had their own wonderful college days and might have done more or less mischievous things than what I have done. Few of them might think whatever I done was not right. But this is what happened which I can’t undo and also if I would have given chance to undo I will never.

Before starting off I would like to give some background information how did I ended up taking Bachelor in science. It so happened that I wanted to be an Engineer since I was a kid. In 1998 when I completed my P.U.C (12th ) exams I also attended Common Entrance Test (CET) exams to get an seat either in Medical or Engineering. However, I was not topper in exams which was obvious, but I managed to get decent ranks both in Engineering and Medical. I never knew even in my wildest dreams that I would not take Engineering. But I did that. Don’t know what provoked me or what persuaded me in taking Bsc over BE, which was the most coolest thing that any person would have done academically in those days similarly as there is craze of MBA nowadays. The decision was made on impulse. I forgot to note down the date, hour, minute, second and milli second of that decision taking moment. If I would have done that may be I would have remembered it all my life, because I have no clue where I would have been now if the decision was other way. May be I would have not written this also.

The only thing I can remember now is that I thought I would do everything in my life differently. The streak of rebel attitude in me encouraged to do so. I thought let me not be the sheep and follow the herd. Let me be the Lion of my destiny. I forgot the fact that even Lion can be captured and tortured in circus.

If anyone of you is born and brought up in Bangalore then you would definitely know about a Television serial called ‘Danda Pindagalu’ which was aired on Udaya TV at 7 pm Monday to Friday in 1999. “Danda Pindagalu” means worthless creatures. It was story of 3 unemployed youth who had completed their Bachelor of Science (BSc), Bachelor of Commerce (BCom) and Bachelor of Arts (BA) respectively. Also it projected that people whoever completed or completing their degree courses apart from Engineering and Medical are worthless creatures. Unfortunately to me that serial was a super hit. Every Tom, Dick and Harry loved the goof ups the 3 protagonists make in the serial and decided for themselves that doing degree courses is waste of time, money and energy. When someone comes to know that I have taken BSc not BE they would make there face as if I have refused to marry their beautiful daughter. And they would pronounce BSc as if that word is forbidden to utter. If mistakenly uttered you would rot in hell. To my great help they did communicated there views to my mother so clearly that even a person who is expert in communication skills could not have done so efficiently. My mother who is bit edgy especially in education matters tried to influence me to take up Engineering and ditch BSc. I’m the perfect synonym to dog’s tail was adamant in changing the decision.

So my journey in BSc started in the month of July 1999. I thought of taking Physics, Mathematics and Chemistry as my main subjects. But one of the college official saw my score in Mathematics and recommended to take Chemistry, Botany and Zoology (CBZ) as it does not contain Mathematics (I really hated and will hate till my last breath trignometry and calculus). I did not had any other choice and agreed for that course.

I don’t remember what exactly happened on first day of my college. I was hoping that I would get ragged but no one even dint bother to look at me. Seniors, whom I would like to address as respectful cowardly chickens were only targeting students from other states. So that there would be no back lash of ragging local students. One thing I can remember clearly that I decided for next 3 years I will not be a good boy. I will shed out my calm and nice boy image that was attached to me since many years. Then the roller coaster ride started.

First few days were boring. There were only 22 students in CBZ class, 9 girls and 12 boys. It was so boring that I started bunking classes from first week. Initially I got acquainted with Karthik and Sharath. But I was about to meet 2 best friends of my life.

The friends I was referring to was Sathyanarayanan AKA Satish (which he used only when he introduced himself to ladies) AKA Sathya (which he used for business purpose) AKA Shasthri (unanimously selected by all boys in class in remembrance of Shivraj Kumar in OM movie) and Srinivas AKA Seena (pet name) AKA Seena makaloola (christened by Sharath, reason unknown. It's been rumored that he gave that name out of love on Seena).

Initially we were only hi and bye friends. After a month Shasthri became close to me followed by Seena. We used to bunk classes together and spend most of our time in Dodda Park (Big park) which is behind Mariyappana Palya bus stand. Our favorite spot was kitthogiro bench (demolished bench).

Now coming to ladies of our class. We never used to call them by their name but by their roll numbers. 13, 20, 1…. Our favorite numbers were 13 as my friend Shastri had a crush on her and even on 20 and also on 01. There was lady called Sundara Kala who was a good friend to us. Also some other.. god I forgot their name.

In boys. We had another Mahesh AKA Long Mahesh due to his height, We had Jagadish AKA Jaga (even he had big time crush on 13) AKA Jaggu (named after a chimpanzee that came in pepsi ad with Preity Zinta), we had Ravindra AKA Jet raja (I think guys must have understood), we had Narendra AKA Nari, we had Ramkrishna, Karthik, Sharath, Manjunath AKA Scope Raja (he thought thaty he was cooler than north and south poles), pravin (this guy ditched college after one year) and we 3 musketeers. We had other friends from PCM section.

In first year of college there are few incidences which I would like to mention.
As we used to bunk classes one or other person would be giving us proxy attendance. Once I was not in mood to attend the class so I asked Shashtri to attend my Kannada language class. Shasthri is from Tamil Nadu and he doesn’t know single word of Kannada to read or write. I told to attend nothing will be wrong. To his luck that day lecturer asked everyone to read one paragraph from the book. Shasthri started sweating. As his turn was coming close he started cursing me in all the languages he knows. May be god was on his side and bell rang just before his turn. He promised that he will not attend any Kannada classes. I gave him a solution if such situation occurs then to inform lecture that he is more interested in learning Kannada so attended the class.

I remember there was uncle who had an STD/ISD booth near our college. Unfortunately (only for him) he had 2 young good looking daughters. For obvious reasons his shop used to make good business. We named one of his daughter as Hrithik Roshni as she resembled Hrithik Roshan who was new heart throb of nation in Jan 2000.

The other memorable incidence was that before exams college will issue hall tickets for exams before checking 75% attendance. Don’t know how and by some mistake me and Seena got 77% and 80% attendance respectively and Shasthri got only 70% attendance. Head of Department (HOD) asked him to get his parents. He can get only his uncle as his parents are in Krishnagiri and his uncle will kill him if he comes to know about this. I gave it a serious thought and cameup with an brilliant idea. I had another friend called Soma AKA Bandli or bald. He is 2 years elder than me but appears 7-8 years older due to his moustache and open ground on his head (now we cant make out as he got done hair transplant or whatever it is). I asked him to come to our college and act as Shasthri’s uncle. He agreed but at expense of free lunch. We sent both of them to HOD’s chamber and waited outside. We could only hear few dailogues the excerpts of the converstion is as follows:

HOD to Soma: Hello Sir! (He is PUC fail and was addressed as ‘Sir’, priveleges of having bald head)

Soma to HOD: Hello Sir

HOD to Soma: Sir, your nephew is useless fellow. I have not seen him single day in my class.

Soma to Shashthri: Why Mahesh? (he totally confused between me and Shasthri, luckily even HOD dint know his name, advantage of not attending classes)

We could not hear few conversations as we were controlling our laugh.

HOD to Soma: As it is first year I will give hall ticket.

Soma to HOD: Thank you sir! Shasthri will be regular from next year (comedy of name error continued)

Shashthri to Soma: Uncle, I will promise that I will be regular to college.

Soma to Shasthri: I don’t believe you. Swear on this book which is goddess Saraswathi and tell that you will be regular (that’s over acting)

HOD to Soma: No need Sir! (As he knew that he wont be regular)

Shasthri to Soma: Uncle lets go!


Atlast Shasthri got hall ticket and Soma got his free lunch.
Our first year went off at lightning speed. Many things happened. Even some people in our class who were jealous of our friendship told to Shashthri that I’m an foul mouthed no good person and he is going to suffer. But still he dint leave us. I respect him for that. We were discussing so many things daily (excluding studies) that they used to drop me half the way and go back to their home.

As expected we did not study and our exams preparation was pathetic. We missed too many classes that year. Lot of fun could also be harmful. I still remember we had Zoology and Chemistry exams on 2 consecutive days and the gap from them and the previous subject was only 3 days. My logical decision was that if I dedicate 1.5 days for each subject the chances of clearing both the subject was too less. In Chemistry I was in too bad condition. So I decided that I will study only Zoology and keep Chemistry pending for next year supplementary exams.
For Chemistry exam I was present in exam hall for only 30 mins. I felt really bad. My answer sheet was empty. I was in such a hopeless situation that for first time in my life I was waiting for 30 mins to be completed soon. That was the longest 30 mins of my life. I was not able to see people hurriedly completing pages and pages in answer sheet. I was struggling to keep my tears in eyes. Atlast 30 mins completed. First bell rang. I stood up to hand over the answer sheet. Everyone who was writing stopped and looked at me in disgust as if I took away their precious 10 seconds. There was a twitch in my eyes and I dint looked back just rushed towards door.

First year came to an end. I failed in Chemistry (I was praying to god to somehow get me passed) and surprisingly in Botany also. Shasthri failed in English, Chemistry and Zoology. But Seena passed all the subjects….


To be continued.

2 comments:

  1. hey! dz awesome and u really made me 2 go bak 2 my colg dayz!!! no actually 2 doz 'GOLDEN DAYZ'...it is interestin and even funny...

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi!!! wooow yur college days look fun!! yur an inspiration, i will also write down all my memories of my own college days when they come...
    Soma is too funnyy haha i was laughin soo much!!
    wht did yu do abt chemistry? resit the exam next year?i cant wait to find out more; waiting for part 2!

    ReplyDelete